Friday, April 27, 2012

Looking to Upgrade Video Card, Help?

My current video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4650 which I believe is kind of outdated, I'm pretty inexperienced so I'm sorry if I slip up on something I need to be providing, but I'm not too sure on how how figure out whether or not a certain video card is compatible with my computer. I'm looking to be able to run most new games on max settings, and not pay more than 200$ for the upgrade. From what I've found, an AMD Radeon HD 6870 or 6850 looks like a nice option, but I have a few questions. First off I'd like to know whether or not I need this big of an upgrade to run games like battlefield 3 on max, and secondly I'd like to know if it's compatible with my computer. In terms of my specs since I'm assuming they're needed, I'm not sure which to give out so I'll just give out some that I know of:



Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 661 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical



If there's anything else I need to add please just let me know and I'll get on it. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.|||The 6850 would be a nice upgrade for you but it won't play BF3 on maximum settings. For that you'd need to shell out a little more and get the 6950.



What i need to know from you is what type of power supply you have because if you upgrade to a 6950 then you need at least 500W or greater.



EDIT: Unlike almost all of the components inside your computer, there is no software that you can download which will tell you the specs of your power supply. There are only two ways of finding out what the specs of your power supply are. One is to take the side panel off your case and simply reading the sticker that is on the side of the power supply itself.

The only other way is to check any receipt that you may have which has the PSU on it or, if you have a pre-built computer like a Dell or an HP or something, google the exact model name & number and seeing online what the power specs of that model are.



Just open up the side of the case and read the sticker on the PSU. It's not hard. And in any case, if you were to upgrade your video card and power supply, you'd have to open it anyway, right?



EDIT: Coolermaster is a very good brand. They make quality stuff and that's great because the power supply is one thing that you don't want a cheap and nasty one of.

460W is a little low for the high end cards that are capable of running modern games on maximum settings. If you look on this page, and for each card on the left, click 'system requirements' you will see that most of the higher end cards require 500W or greater. http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/g…



Your 460W PSU does not meet the power requirements of the best performing cards. If you were to NOT replace the 460W power supply then you are limited to the 6770 at best.

The 6770 is only capable of playing the latest games on medium settings.

If you want the 6870 then you'll need to upgrade the power supply to 500W or greater.





EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are right in saying that 6700+ is a big upgrade from 4650. The 4650 is a low end card and frankly, i'm extremely surprised that you say it runs Skyrim on high, especially since the Skyrim recommended system requirements state a minimum 4890 to run it well. Look here http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/26/the-el…



Perhaps you are running it on a very low resolution. Or perhaps when you say high settings you are forgetting AA and AF.



I don't know which article you read which said that the 6850 can run on 450W. The figure of 500W minimum for the 6850 comes straight from the AMD website (the people who make the card) http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/g…



I'd trust what they have to say over some random article. Bear in mind that over time, a power supply, due to capacitor aging, loses some of it's maximum capacity. If your power supply is over a year old and has been used moderately, then chances are, it will not still be able to deliver the posted 460W reliably anymore.|||EDIT: You can't. Just open it up and look for a black box sitting in a corner, it'll have a number like 350W and a name



Can you check your PSU brand and wattage?



Be careful upgrading videocard without looking at your PSU, if it's a cheap, crap one, it'll burn up your parts











You need to put at least 250 if you want to run BF3 at max,



Try sapphire radeon 6950



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…





NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE YOUR POWER SUPPLY!



Here:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

No comments:

Post a Comment