Friday, April 27, 2012

I'm thinking of buying a new desktop. Will 1GB run Windows Vista Premium and do I need an upgraded video card.

1 GB will run Vista Premium - barely. Two would be better. If you're planning to use the Aero interface, I'd highly recommend an upgraded video card with at least 256 MB of memory onboard and preferably 512 MB.|||I agree with all posts 2gb is min. for vista. 3 would be the way to go if you can.



Few computer makers are still trying to sell vista with 512 mb My opinion its criminal.|||1G will run win vista but I would recomend 2G... and depends on the video card... most Machines now will come pre-loaded with Vista....|||I just bought a system from Sam's Club (linked below) that was 1GB or RAM and MS Windows Vista Home Premium. Out of the box, it hasn't been too bad as a general usage machine. It certainly doesn't work well for video games though. In my case, the system uses an integrated video card that doesn't perform very well for games. Actually it didn't work very well with MS Vista Aero (the new graphical environment from Microsoft), but I disabled it anyways - who need "eye candy" over performance. I do plan to install a new video card (was thinking of the nVidia 7600 GS for around $80) as it should handle most of the games my family plays.



So far though, can't say that MS Vista impresses me much (bought the systems this past Saturday 8/25). In fact some of the changes seem to be changes just for the sake of making it different with no real improvement in function or performance. I'll be giving it a bit more time but if I'm still not sold on Vista, I'll be switching it to MS Windows XP.|||I wouldn't go with anything under 2GB for Vista. I've run it on 1GB but it likes 2 a lot better. I also suggest you go with a video card instead of onboard. An Nvidia 8600 series with 256MB will suffice if youre not into hardcore gaming 512MB if you are. . Its always good to buy your puter with the upgrades already in place in case you have a warranty issue as places like Dell love to say your warranty is void if you add aftermarket hardware to it.|||I would say 1GB of RAM is the bare minimum for running Windows Vista. The operating system consumes roughly 500MB of that RAM, not leaving very much for running other applications.



Is the Ram DDR or DDR2? This makes a difference. DDR2 Ram is much faster and your system would perform much better with 1GB of DDR2 Ram than DDR Ram. Still, I would recommend 2GB if you are going to be doing intensive gaming, or video editing or anything of that sort.



As for the graphics card, I don't know what type of card you have now so I can't tell you if you need a new one. If your asking if you can use the same card that you had using XP, then the answer is yes. No need to change cards just because you're changing operating systems.



Now, if you used XP instead of Vista, you'd be fine. Windows XP operating system uses less than half what Vista does, which would leave much more free Ram available for other tasks.



Hope this helps...

No comments:

Post a Comment