Friday, April 27, 2012

Looking to upgrade video card & power supply on my current system?

I'm going to be upgrading my video card on my computer, and power supply as well since my current one isn't powerful enough to support the card I'm getting, a 6950. I have a few questions about whether it's compatible or not. My setup:



Motherboard: MSI MS-7526

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7400 - Stock speed: 2.8GHz, OC'd at 3.2GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2 Dual-Channel @ 381MHz (Sad, I know) 5-5-5-15

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Current Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Windows 7



So the specific card I was looking at is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

And the power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



So I want to make sure this is compatible with my computer, and also whether or not you think the power supply will last another generation of video cards? I know that the 6950's recommended power is 500w only because of low-quality power supplies out there, so my 650w Corsair should last at least the next gen of cards, right? I was planning to upgrade the rest of my system a little later after getting this so I'll have more updated parts after that for next gen components. Also, will my CPU bottleneck the GPU? How much of an effect will it have if it does bottleneck it? And finally, I know it sounds silly but, will the PSU be able to connect fine to my current parts? Any extra advice would be welcome as well. Thanks for all this in advance.|||This upgrade is fine. No need to worry about any of your questions. Very nice upgrade.|||Well your For Today's gaming u need min quad core CPU,

In motherboard must go for SLI or CROSSFIRE.

Supply and Video card u choose are pretty Decent.

Good Luck.|||Get like a 480 and an Intel 2600k or some decent i7. But, if you have a low budget then get ATi and AMD.|||3.2ghz dual core is a bit weak, you may not notice any improvment.



the 667mhz ram is not weak, it games the same as 2000mhz ram.



I'd grab a TX650w V2 or XFX 650w Core. Less expensive, newer, seasonic, bronze as well and just better.

No comments:

Post a Comment