Friday, April 27, 2012

Can I use this video card on my desktop?

I have a prebuild gateway 4820-05h desktop, and I would like to upgrade video card. It currently uses an ATI HD 4350 card, but it's quite laggy on some newer games.



It has a PCI express 2.0 slot, can I insert PCI express 2.1 card on it?



It uses a FSP 300w powersupply, and would it be able to run AMD 6670 card?



thanks|||PCI Express is forward and backward compatible. Your 2.1 card will very happily work with your 2.0 slot (all you'll lose is some diagnostic/management features that you almost certainly won't use).



If you had a high quality 300W power supply, I'd have no hesitation about using the 6670. FSP sounds like a generic brand to me, so I'm not sure it will handle the 6670 under load. I'd feel comfortable with a Radeon HD 6570, but that's somewhat lower performing. (Still beats the heck out of your 4350, which isn't a gaming level card)|||That card will work in a 2.0 slot, and it recommends a 400 watt psu.|||Yes a 2.1 card will fit and work in a 2.0 slot. The cards are compatible, it is just a difference in bandwidth with 2.0,2.1 and 3.0 PCIe.



That 6670 requires a minimum of 400 watt PSU for a single card. Should get a little bigger for overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment