Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Upgrading Video Card & PC Power Supply?

Greetings all.



I have a Dell Dimension 8400 PC - P4 3.0ghz and 3 GB RAM. It currently has a stock 350W power supply.



I am looking to purchase an EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Akimbo Superclocked video card (as listed here) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as… and I obviously need a new power supply as the card's minimum requirements are 400W.



I am considering this particular power supply unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



I know quite a bit about PC's, but power supplies are my weakness. I've never even replaced one to be honest.



Does that particular unit look like a good one to go with? If not, do you have any other recommendations?



Also, for major PC enthusiasts, any other advice about this planned upgrade would be most welcome. I can't afford to upgrade to a brand new PC just yet, but I figured this upgrade would go a long way in improving performance for newer games.



Thanks in advance!|||I actually used that power supply for a few hours, its pretty loud



you might want to check if your computer is in the ATX form factor, many dells use proprietary power supplies and connectors to the motherboard

No comments:

Post a Comment