Sunday, May 6, 2012

Upgrading video card?

im about to upgrade my video card. im not really sure how to but ive been researching it online and i think i have an idea but i have a few questions.





1. Do I have to remove my old video card to install my new one? (even though there 4 different empty slots)



2. How do I uninstall all my old video card drivers before taking it out and replacing it? (step by instructions if possible please!)



3. Would my new video card "work" as in would i be able to see anything on my monitor before installing all the necessary drivers?



Some information to keep in mind before answering: I do NOT have the cd or anything that came with the video card, I just have the card.

and also im running on windows 7|||1. if the slots are compatible, you can install the new card while the old card is in place. Your operating system will recognize both cards and you can then switch the display to the new card



2. Don't worry about removing the drivers. They are small files. It will take longer to find them for little value. If you really want to, right click on my computer, open the hardware tab, open the display drivers, right click on the card and look under properties for the drivers name. Then search for the names and delete the files. Honestly - not worth doing!



3) depends but in most cases the answer is yes. Windows 7 should recognize the card and provide basic support. Installing the drivers will make good use of the functionality of the card



ADDENDUM: If you do not have the drivers for the card you are installing, find out the name/brand/model number. Go to the vendor's website and download it. To be honest, even if you had the CD you would have had to go to the website to get the latest version|||1. No, you should not have to remove it, however unless you have two of the exact same cards and a motherboard capable of such you wil not be able to run SLI/crossfire



2. You don't need to.



3. It should use default drivers right of the bat, so you should be able to see everything.|||1 Yes

#2 don't do that

#3 yes

Ok i am back .....

You will be able to see the screen it will be just at 800 x 600 you have to go to the manufacturers website to download the drivers or just right click on computer > properties in the top right corner open device manager locate your device right click it and select update driver..... make sure you are connected to the internet.... you can maybe also use windows update.... I did this in a virtual machine and it is kinda hard to simulate this situation in a virtual machine.



the virtual machine is running windows 7 evaluation copy



It's funny I just installed a dual-head video card (running vista)



I think I will go back to my old one because mine is well never mind if you want to know any more just look at my recent questions



answer #3 is better than mine :(

No comments:

Post a Comment