Monday, May 7, 2012

Upgrading video card from onboard to PCI Express?

Alrighty, I've read this Q&A, and added 2 comments but nobody replied to them.



http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akxl5WsWi3o.b0uI4WJcCfMjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20070902091222AACAFnm



I've got the same computer as JP who asked the question.



I also discovered this graphics card:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071



So my question in detail is.. .What do I need to know if I want to upgrade? Will I have to buy a larger power supply? Will I need to install extra fans or some sort of cooling system?

Will my motherboard even support this GFX card model? (I don't know what motherboard I have and don't know how to figure it out)



I'm lost with this technology, and really want to be able to experience DX10 games, and replay games I can no longer play...



Thanks so much in advance = )|||Need to know:

1. Do you have a x16 PCIe slot and enough space on your motherboard for that monster card? It will cover the space of another PCI slot.

2. Do you have a Southbridge chip that is positioned closer to the middle of the board instead of towards the edge? Does it have a tall heatsink that could obstruct the card?

3. Do you have at least 26 amperes on the +12V rail of your power supply? That card draws up to 9 amperes on the +12V rail.

This one should have no trouble powering a PC with that card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…|||Go online to a site that will check your computer's mainboard for you, let you know what it is, and go from there.|||the answer is simple, i think..to choose a gfx card is the easy part choose any brand or any model your hearts wants...but the hard part is to pick what model of mainboard your gfx card needs... if you choose a pci-e card so your board has to have a pci-e slot...or agp slot...if your gfx have SLI features yous have to get a board that supports SLI....if not...you just wasted money.

No comments:

Post a Comment