Sunday, May 6, 2012

What kind of Video card/RAM is right for my computer?

I own a Sony Vaio VGC-RB30. The specifications are in this link (since I don't know what exactly to list): http://www.superwarehouse.com/Sony_VAIO_…



I am told that I have an open PCI Express slot in which I can insert a video card. What kind/brand of video card should I buy and what series? I've heard all kinds of NVIDIA cards but I don't know what series or know of other brands.



Similarly, are there specific brands of RAM that are more reliable/work better than non-branded ones? Does RAM come in kits, seperate or both?



For video cards, I'm looking for nothing more than maybe $150.00 and for RAM, probably nothing more than $100.00.



Also, given my specs, what should I know about upgrading video cards and RAM in order not to kill my computer?



What I'm going to be using these upgrading for is for playing online games (i.e. World of Warcraft) so it would be wonderful if anyone can elaborate on my needs.



Thank you and I look forward to any replies!|||for RAM, which is also known as system memory, go to crucial.com and do a system scan. They will tell you what kind, and you can buy it straight from them for good prices.



The crucial website will tell you whether you need to remove some RAM. Sometimes you have to do this because RAM must work in certain configurations. The website will give you the best recommended configuration.



There are many tutorials online for installing RAM. Just remove the old and and insert the new. Make sure its all the way in though, it takes at least 20lbs of pressure...both clips on each side should be click up.



Installing RAM is very easy, just don't be overwhelmed. It will cost much less than $100



As far as video cards, you can buy a very nice one within your price range. I bought an AGP Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT for under $150. Basically the higher the number (for me 7300) the better. The current highest is 8800, but you definitely will not need that. I would recommend going to a retail store that sells them (i got mine at CompUSA but their dead....i think BestBuy sells them, any computer store really) and telling them what kinds of games you will be playing and they will direct you to the best one for your interests. World of Warcraft is not that graphically intensive, so I don't think youll need over 7300.





...also, if you want system information, download aida32. its a free program that tells you EVERYTHING about your computer. Its really great.



good luck!|||go to run and type "dxdiag" it will give you all your system specs

No comments:

Post a Comment