Sunday, May 6, 2012

Upgrading Video Card?

Alright, I built my gaming machine ground up. My computer has some of the top parts from Fall of 2009..... up to the power supply and video card, which is an old XFX 8600 Nvidia. I am an AMD fan, but always used Nvidia cards, perhaps the responders can also give me their input between choosing ATI or Nvidia when the answer the following questions:

I have a $255 limit (that includes S&H) and currently have 480 watt power supply. Now I have looked into some nice cards out there in my price range, but good ones want me to have a bigger power supply (500 or 600 most of the time). This is a sloppy question, I know, but does anyone have any recommended cards for me to look at? And should I get a new power supply?|||Well, ATI's new 5000 series cards are very energy-efficient. The Radeon 5770 only requires a 450W power supply and goes for $160-$175, so it's the most likely pick. Of course that leaves you with enough cash for a supply upgrade it desired, but it's probably not necessary.



Older generation cards of that level (Radeon 4870 and GTX 260) require at least 550W and a pair of PCI-E power connectors.|||Yes, you'll need a bigger powersupply, especially since you probably don't have an efficient PSU that's 80+ Certified.



I would recommend getting a new PSU now, and save up for your new graphics card later. I recommend a Corsair PSU, they are one of the best, if not the best, PSU manufacturer.



As for a video card, the 5830 is the right card for your price range:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…

No comments:

Post a Comment